In these post-pandemic days there has been a plethora of online programming marketed to the avid gym buff. Videos and infomercials offering the latest gadget or app with beach body workouts are seemingly everywhere you look. Men and women jumping and sweating to HIIT workouts flood television and social media. What about the people that just want to move well and feel good?
What about the older generation that might be uncomfortable in a big box crowded gym? Or those who are not looking to fit into a bikini this summer?
These same people might feel that a virtual fitness coach is not for them but the opposite is true.
- Virtual personal trainers offer a human connection which can be vital for mental health during these social distancing times. Virtual training can also be done with friends. This can create a much-needed sense of community that many people might be missing at this time.
- Most older populations have been extensively using apps such as Zoom or FaceTime for everything from doctor visits to keeping connected with family. No new technology skills need to be learned.
- Strength training is vital to the aging population, so even if you don’t have access to a gym you can work in your home with minimal or no equipment. Small spaces are not an issue; if you can find room for a yoga mat you are all set.
- Virtual training with a live person is a lot more engaging than a pre-recorded generic video. In-person offers the extra benefit of live interaction with someone who genuinely cares about your well-being. An older client might have an injury and may need to have someone who can cue them with exercise regressions or progressions as appropriate.
- No masks or PPE required! There is no need to feel anxious or nervous about being in a gym environment when you can be in the comfort and safety of your own home.
Online fitness coaching has grown in popularity this past year while gyms were closed down. Although online coaching is not a brand new phenomenon it has definitely become part of the mainstream. The virtual fitness coach is one more option when contemplating the best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle and is definitely here to stay.