The upcoming Sport Nutrition for Health and Performance, Second Edition(Human Kinetics, July 2009) will help students and practitioners understand the function of the nutrients in the body and how these nutrients affect health and athletic performance. The authors present clear, comprehensive, and accurate nutrition information that may be applied to a variety of careers. The text provides students with practical knowledge in exercise and nutrition science, and it keeps practitioners on the cutting edge of current research and practices in the field.
Using the authors' extensive backgrounds in nutrition, exercise physiology, and fitness, the text combines micronutrients into functional groupings to provide an easy framework for understanding how these nutrients can influence exercise performance and good health for both athletes and active individuals. This unique presentation allows readers to fully understand why proper nutrition helps athletes prevent injury, enhance recovery, improve daily workouts, and maintain optimal health and body weight.
This second edition has been thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the latest issues, guidelines, and recommendations for active individuals. Following are some of the current topics discussed in the text:
- Carbohydrate recommendations for athletes before, during, and after exercise
- Protein requirements of athletes based on the latest research
- Updated evaluation of the fat needs of athletes and the role of fat loading
- An evidence-based reexamination of various diets and techniques used for weight loss
- New research on body composition assessments and standards
- The latest on controversial nutrition issues such as the role of protein, vitamin D, and energy in bone health and new criteria for assessing bone health in young adults
- New nutrition and fitness assessments, questionnaires, and methods for measuring energy expenditure
- Updated information on various topics such as the issues of the active female, ergogenic aids, energy balance, and fluid balance
This book will help readers understand the scientific basis of nutrition and make sound recommendations in their careers. With up-to-date content based on current guidelines, Sport Nutrition for Health and Performance, Second Edition, provides students and practitioners thorough information on achieving good health and maximizing performance.
For more information on Sport Nutrition for Health and Performance, Second Edition, or other nutrition resources, visit www.HumanKinetics.com or call 800.747.4457.