If you’re more likely to cut ties than go steady with your cardio routine, it’s time to recommit as cardiovascular exercise is one of the best ways to ensure the long-term health of your heart. Rekindle the magic of your routine with these tips from the exercise experts at Life Fitness:
Take On the Treadmill
Add variety to spice up the tried and true relationship with your treadmill by changing speed, resistance and incline throughout the workout to alternate high intensity intervals with recovery.
- Start with a five-minute warm up at 3 mph with a 1 percent incline.
- Follow with five minutes of slow jogging (4 to 5 mph).
- Pick up the pace (6 mph+) for one minute and run at a 2 percent incline or more.
- Return to the jogging pace at a 1 percent incline for two minutes.
- Repeat run/jog intervals 2 to 3 more times before returning to a five-minute walk.
Step up to the Stepper
Achieve Cupid’s heights by incorporating a pyramid technique for the step machine.
- Build your intensity gradually and at your own pace for the first five minutes.
- Cap it with a one-minute, high-intensity burst.
- Return to a comfortable grade of difficulty for two minutes before kicking back up to a higher intensity for one minute.
- Repeat these intervals at least 3 times before cooling down for five minutes.
Consulting a personal trainer can help you get the most out of your workout.
Fit Tips are provided by Life Fitness, the leader in designing and manufacturing high-quality exercise equipment for fitness facilities and homes worldwide. For more information on FitTips and other fitness advice and expertise, visit www.lifefitness.com or follow their Twitter at www.twitter.com/lifefitness or their Facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/lifefitness.