IDEA Health & Fitness Association, the leading membership organization of health, wellness and fitness professionals worldwide with more than 23,000 members in over 80 countries, offers tips to help fitness professionals and consumers alike stay strong during this time of economic downturn. Data gathered from the 2008 IDEA Personal Training Programs & Equipment Survey provides valuable information on how to make constrained budget dollars stretch further as evidenced by the growth in cost-effective group and partner training, outdoor boot camps and social activity clubs.
- While one-on-one training remains a staple in the fitness community, 84% of fitness professionals responding to this year's IDEA survey said they offer partner training in which two clients share a session. Respondents also indicated that the average cost of a personal training session is $58, so splitting this cost helps maximize investments in personal fitness.
- Personal training in groups of three to five clients also is on the rise, now being offered by 49% of respondents. Fitness professionals working at personal training gyms are leading the way in this category, as 53% already offer small-group classes.
- Many fitness clubs offer discounted or complimentary services to entice new members to join and keep beginners motivated. Respondents reported offering discounted or free fitness assessments (53%), goal setting (49%) and personal training (36%).
- Topping the charts of fitness programs with the most growth potential is outdoor boot camps as 69% of those surveyed felt this category will grow over the next year. On average, boot camps can cost $10 to $20 per session, providing budget-conscious consumers with an affordable and highly effective way to increase cardiovascular and functional training.
- The survey also revealed that activity is no longer confined to the gym as the rise in social activity groups, such as walking and running clubs, indicated. These cost-effective activities, along with group outings that help foster a fun fitness environment are expected to grow by 64% of those surveyed.
IDEA Health & Fitness Association is a membership organization of fitness and wellness professionals with more than 23,000 members in over 80 countries. For more information on IDEA fitness and wellness conferences, publications, professional fitness education and products, member services and other activities, visit www.ideafit.com.