The NSCA Certification Commission is excited to announce that a new edition of the most-preferred exam preparation textbook for the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) exam will be available in July 2008. The third edition expands and applies the most current research and information in a logical format that reaffirms Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning as the most prominent resource for students preparing for careers in strength and conditioning and for sport science professionals involved in training athletes. The enhancements include:
· Restructured information about the bodys adaptations to anaerobic and aerobic exercise training
· Greatly expanded information about performance-enhancing substances
· Up-to-date nutritional information, including recent research-based nutritional guidelines
· Additional sport-specific testing protocols and comprehensive normative and descriptive data tables
· New photographs of resistance training exercise technique
· New terminology for concepts related to the design of resistance training programs and periodization
· Concise explanations of speed and agility training guidelines
· Step-by-step guidelines on designing aerobic endurance training programs
· Revised descriptions of strength and conditioning staff duties and checklists for facility maintenance
The third edition retains the study aids that made the second edition so popular. Each chapter begins with objectives and includes key points to guide the reader along the way. Key terms are bold-faced and listed at the end of the chapter, with page numbers indicating where they are explained in the chapter. Chapters include sidebars that apply the content, and later chapters include sample resistance training programs for three different sports. Detailed instructions and photos are provided for testing, stretching, resistance training and plyometrics. Finally, chapters end with multiple-choice study questions with an answer key at the end of the book.
In addition to the updated content, this edition includes newly-created instructor resources. A comprehensive instructor guide contains chapter objectives, a chapter outline, websites, definitions of select key terms, application essay questions with suggested answers and links to related classroom activities for each chapter of the textbook. A PowerPoint presentation package contains more than 1,000 slides covering select text, art, tables and photos from the textbook to help guide lectures and class discussions.
Whether used for learning the essentials of strength training and conditioning, for preparing for a certification exam or as a reference by professionals, the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, Third Edition textbook will help practitioners and the scientific community better understand how to develop and administer safe and effective training programs.
The Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, Third Edition textbook will be available for preorder in May 2008. For more information on the NSCA Certification Commission's existing preparation materials, please call toll-free 888.746.2378, email email@example.com or visit www.nsca-cc.org.
The NSCA Certification Commission, the certifying agency for the National Strength and Conditioning Association, offers two credentials for fitness professionals. The Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) and NSCA-Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT) certifications are considered the Credentials of Distinction in the strength training and conditioning and personal training professions. The NSCA Certification Commission is the only fitness-related organization to offer credentials nationally accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) since 1993.